• Sometimes we just need to talk to someone we can trust. UHI Outer Hebrides is committed to listening to you and to working with you to develop constructive ways forward. Talk to someone, don't try to go it alone!

    By visiting Thinking About Therapy? you will find more information on counselling and therapy.  This useful website provides guidance on what therapy is and how it can help you; how to find a therapist and what to expect from a session, along with a host of other beneficial resources.

    People who can help

    • Contact Student Support at UHI Outer Hebrides. They will be able to either offer confidential counselling or access to an external counsellor and other local help. We have a college counsellor who is completely independent of the College, and you can arrange an appointment to speak to them:
      • email: where our student services team will agree on the best service to support you.

    This service is completely confidential.  We can also offer counselling via Skype for students who are based outside the Stornoway area and can be arranged by contacting Our counsellors are registered with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy or COSCA (Counselling and Psychotherapy in Scotland).

    • Your Personal Academic Tutor may be the person you go to first. If they don’t have all the answers they will be able to put you in contact with the right people to help.
    • If you study at a Learning Centre, you might talk to the Learning Centre staff who will be able to put you in touch with the Student Support Team at your enrolling college or who may know of other local services which might help.
    • You might choose to go to your GP.
    • In addition to the local offer UHI offers the Green Button, a free confidential online counselling service to all UHI students. Online counselling gives you the opportunity to access counselling at a time and in a place which is convenient to you.

    Please read our Privacy Notice for further information on how your data will be handled by the university counselling service.