UHI Outer Hebrides Student Wins Bronze at Scottish Chef of the Year Award
Alex takes the Bronze at National Competition
Young Chef and Professional Cookery student Alex Reid fought off fierce competition to take third place at the 2023 Scottish Chef of the Year Award in Glasgow last night, March 8th. Alex also won the Mirius hygiene award at the event.
Competitors had 120 minutes to produce a 3-course meal of their choice for 4 covers. One course had to include fish. Competitors were permitted a commis chef to help, carry and assist, but not cook. Competitors were to supply all ingredients and light equipment.
Alex took his fellow Professional Cookery student from UHI Outer Hebrides, John Chisholm as his commis and together they wowed the judges.
Alex is currently chef at the Harbour Kitchen Restaurant in Stornoway and travelled to Glasgow where the competition took place at Hot Scot, Scotland’s premier showcase for food, drink, hospitality, retail and tourism.
UHI Outer Hebrides Development Chef James MacKenzie, said, “We are so proud of Alex's achievement. Both he and John put in a huge amount of work for the competition, and this has certainly paid off."
Alex added, “"I really enjoyed the event, it was a great experience."
About UHI Outer Hebrides:
- UHI Outer Hebrides is a further and higher education college in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland, and is part of the University of the Highlands and Islands
- UHI Outer Hebrides will merge with UHI North Highland and UHI West Highland to form UHI North, West and Hebrides later this year, pending Scottish Government approval.
- We have centres established throughout the Outer Hebrides - Our Centres - UHI Outer Hebrides
- Study Archaeology at UHI Outer Hebrides - Subjects - Archaeology (uhi.ac.uk)
- Find out more about our courses at UHI Outer Hebrides – Courses - UHI Outer Hebrides
- Hear more from our students - Student stories (uhi.ac.uk)