Let Battle Commence! FIRST LEGO League Challenge Returns to UHI Outer Hebrides
Following huge success of the 2022 FIRST LEGO League, UHI Outer Hebrides will be welcoming back local schools to the college to design, built and battle their very own robots.
FIRST LEGO League Challenge is a global STEM programme for teams of young people, to encourage an interest in real world themes and develop key skills that are crucial for their future careers. Developing opportunities and interests for local people is essential work of the college.
Young people work together to explore a given topic and to design, build and program an autonomous LEGO robot to solve a series of missions. This year the college will welcome teams from Uig primary, Stornoway Primary and Laxdale Primary – with more schools hoping to register.
The college staff team support the schools to find funding to purchase the Lego packs in order for the robots to be built. Team must then research the annual theme and explore different ideas, challenges and problem solving. This year’s theme is ‘Superpowered’ and teams will learn how energy is generated, stored, distributed, and consumed.
The competition will be judged by local employers and UHI Outer Hebrides partners such as Albert Allan, Arnish General Manager from Harland and Wolff. Albert said: “The Outer Hebrides has a rich history of producing world class talent and I am looking forward to seeing the results of the schools LEGO competition which hopefully will have created a deeper interest in the STEM activities for the pupils who participated in the challenge.”
UHI Outer Hebrides Principal and CEO Hannah Ritchie-Muir added: “We are delighted to host the First Lego League tournament at UHI Outer Hebrides. It is a great opportunity to welcome local schools into the college and demonstrate the role of STEM in learning and development. Our staff have the chance to talk about STEM skills and careers, but mainly have a lot of fun.”
- For more information on FIRST LEGO LEAGUE - FIRST® LEGO® League (esp-scotland.ac.uk)
- For more info on how schools and teams can take part please email email@example.com
About UHI Outer Hebrides:
- For all press enquiries please contact Marketing Manager, Kathryn Lamont Smith on firstname.lastname@example.org
- UHI Outer Hebrides is a further and higher education college in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland, and is part of the University of the Highlands and Islands
- UHI Outer Hebrides will merge with UHI North Highland and UHI West Highland to form UHI North, West and Hebrides later this year, pending Scottish Government approval.
- We have centres established throughout the Outer Hebrides - Our Centres - UHI Outer Hebrides
- Find out more about our courses at UHI Outer Hebrides – Courses - UHI Outer Hebrides
- Hear more from our students - Student stories (uhi.ac.uk)