Research Methods PgCert
Course code X200
What is special about this course?
Do you want to develop your expertise in a range of both qualitative and quantitative research and apply this to real-world issues? If so, then the PgCert in Research Methods could be the course for you.
This fully online programme is designed for students who wish to develop their research skills and will equip successful students with excellent skills to carry out research of a professional standard. The choices offered in the programme enable students to examine quantitative and qualitative methods in depth and also become competent practitioners in mixed methods and action research.
Research methods training is a cornerstone for success at doctoral study and successful completion of this programme will enable you to take the necessary steps towards this. You will be encouraged to think critically about the selection of appropriate approach to your research and select the most appropriate strategy for collecting and analysing data.
- You can study fully online through the university’s virtual learning environment (VLE), which means you can fit your studies around your personal and professional commitments.
- You will develop an in-depth and reflective understanding of the research process.
- This course will help research students to understand the professional, regulatory and related contexts of research, and to do so in such a way as to facilitate the development of career planning skills.
- There is a face-to-face induction, (though not compulsory, is strongly recommended) which is designed to introduce you to the use of learning technologies and to help individuals to network with others on the course and to think about their own development needs in relation to it.
- 2:2 Honours degree (or equivalent) in any subject
- A third or an ordinary degree will be considered with appropriate professional experience
- Candidates with no formal qualifications, who can demonstrate a capability and engagement in appropriate CPD, will be considered under the university's Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) procedures, and may need to complete an appropriate bridging module before undertaking the PgCert.
The core module is:
- Research methods and techniques
You will also choose two of the following option modules:
- Qualitative inquiry
- Quantitative research and data analysis
- Mixed methods and action research
How will I study my course?
- You will study through supported online learning using the university's virtual learning environment (VLE)
- Part-time (structured)
- Part-time (unstructured)
- A face-to-face induction is not compulsory but is highly recommended
How long will my course last?
- Full-time - 1 year (3 modules over 2 semesters)
- Part-time - 2 years
Where can I study my course?
- Outer Hebrides
For students normally domiciled in Scotland, with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
• EU nationals with settled or pre-settled status in the UK,
• EEA/Swiss nationals with settled status in the UK
• EEA/Swiss nationals with pre-settled status who are self-employed or migrant workers in the UK.
|Per module (20 credits)||£560||£560|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£1,680||£1,680|
Rest of UK students
For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) studying online from home, or assessed as rest of the UK for fee status, the following fees apply:
|Per module (20 credits)||£650||£669|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£1,950||£2,007|
EU/EEA and Swiss nationals without settled or pre-settled status in the UK
Following the UK’s departure from the European Union, the Scottish Government confirmed that EU/EEA and Swiss nationals, who do not have settled or pre-settled status, will be considered as international for fee purposes. For 2022-23, students will get an automatic fee scholarship.
This includes EEA/Swiss nationals with pre-settled status who are not self-employed or migrant workers in the UK.
|2021-22||With scholarship||2022-23||With scholarship|
|Per module (20 credits)||£980||£730||£1,010||£760|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£2,940||£2,190||£3,030||£2,280|
For students who do not normally reside in the UK or European Union, studying online from their home country, or assessed as international for fee status, the following fees apply:
|Per module (20 credits)||£980||£1,010|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£2,940||£3,030|
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
This course is not available for international students requiring Student Route visa sponsorship to study in the UK.
A no fee increase guarantee is available for self-funding full-time and structured part-time rest of the UK, EU and international postgraduate students for continuous study for the same award, up to the permitted standard time limit for the relevant award.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On successful completion of the PgCert Research Methods you may choose to apply your learning and skills to practical research or progress to further study.
Can I progress into further study?
You can use the PgCert in Research Methods to articulate onto the Master of Education programme. The PgCert Research Methods is also a good starting point for higher degree study such as MPhil or PhD but you are advised to check this with prospective institutions and supervisors.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Research Methods PgCert
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.