Mechanical Engineering NC Level 6
What is special about this course?
This course is designed to meet the needs of students wishing to gain employment in a wide range of engineering disciplines or as a route to HNC/HND Engineering Systems and further progression onto the BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering; Electrical and Electronic Engineering; Electrical and Mechanical Engineering; Energy Engineering. This course gives the student an excellent integrated qualification and training to industry standard.
Candidates would normally be expected to have attained one of the following:
3 National 5 qualifications including a maths and science subject;
3 Intermediate 2 qualifications including a maths and science subject;
3 Standard grades (grade 3 or above) including a maths and science subject;
Other equivalent qualifications;
Suitable industrial experience and training.
Applicants will be interviewed prior to acceptance on the course. Lews Castle College encourages open access to all its courses.
Subjects studied include -
- Computer Aided Draughting
- Strength of Materials
- Pneumatics and Hydraulics
- Engineering Thermodynamic
- Engineering Dynamics
- Engineering Prime Movers
- Engineering Materials
Practical skills including -
- Fitting using hand skills - using a range of hand tools for cutting, shaping and fitting techniques appropriate to the material and operation.
- Machining engineering materials - using lathes, milling machines and grinding machines to produce components/assemblies.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
How long will my course last?
1 year full-time
Where can I study my course?
- UHI Outer Hebrides (Stornoway Campus)
Costs as advertised.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Students who achieve NC Engineering may progress to:
- HNC/HND Engineering Systems
- BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Electrical and Mechanical Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Energy Engineering
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Mechanical Engineering NC Level 6
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Outer Hebrides. UHI Outer Hebrides operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.