An Cùrsa Comais (English) CertHE
Course code Q532
What is special about this course?
An Cùrsa Comais is an intensive and interactive Gaelic language course for intermediate-level learners aiming for fluency in the language. The major focus is on language skills, both speaking and writing, but other subjects are introduced as the course progresses.
You will get the opportunity to take a three-week work placement in a Gaelic environment and apply your newly acquired theory skills.
- Intensive Gaelic immersion course with particular emphasis on oral and written skills
- You will study at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig UHI on the Isle of Skye, or UHI Outer Hebrides on the Isle of Lewis, both located at the heart of vibrant, Gaelic-speaking communities
- You will undertake a three-week work placement in a Gaelic environment
- 3 Scottish Highers at grade BBC or above, preferably including Gaelic (learners) or Gàidhlig (fluent speakers) at grade B or above Or
- 2 A levels at grade BC or above
- You will be required to attend an interview to assess your Gaelic language skills
- Applicant with other qualifications or experience will be considered on an individual basis
- This is a Category 2 PVG course: PVG Scheme membership is required for specific optional modules/unit(s), where there is guaranteed contact with vulnerable groups in optional module/unit(s), but an alternative pathway exists to achieve target qualification. For further information visit our PVG scheme webpage
- Please note: this course does not accept applications for deferred entry; if you wish to take a year out, for example, you must apply next year
Year 1 - CertHE
- Comas conaltraidh A
- Comas conaltraidh B
- Cànan foirmeil is dreuchdail
- Saoghal na Gàidhlig 1
- Greis gnìomhachais
- Na meadhanan 1*
- Cànan sa choimhearsnachd
- Litreachas: sgilean sgrùdaidh
- Coimpiutaireachd 1
- Annas-làimhe is òrain Ghàidhlig 1*
- Teòiridh, cruthachadh is cothromachadh 1*
*Sabhal Mòr Ostaig UHI only.
How will I study my course?
- You will study through supported online learning using the university's virtual learning environment (VLE)
- You will study this course via face-to-face lectures and tutorials at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig UHI on the Isle of Skye, or UHI Outer Hebrides on the Isle of Lewis, both located at the heart of vibrant, Gaelic-speaking communities
How long will my course last?
- Full-time: 1 year
Where can I study my course?
- Outer Hebrides
- Sabhal Mòr Ostaig
For students normally domiciled in Scotland, with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
- EU nationals with settled or pre-settled status in the UK,
- EEA/Swiss nationals with settled status in the UK
- EEA/Swiss nationals with pre-settled status who are self-employed or migrant workers in the UK.
|Full-time (120 credit modules) per year||£1,285||£1,285|
Rest of UK students
For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland, including Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) and with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Full-time (120 credit modules) per year||£7,110||£7,110|
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
There are a number of funding options available to UK students to help you pay for your studies and your cost of living while studying.
For students who do not normally reside in the UK, including EU/EEA and Swiss nationals without settled or pre-settled status in the UK, with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
This includes EEA/Swiss nationals with pre-settled status who are not self-employed or migrant workers in the UK.
|Full-time (120 credit modules) per year||£7.440||£7,980|
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact your enrolling college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Once you have successfully completed the An Cùrsa Comais course you might like to consider pursuing a career in Gaelic teaching or in the Gaelic media.
Can I progress into further study?
Once you’ve completed your studies, you can progress on to a variety of other Gaelic-related courses, including:
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for An Cùrsa Comais (English) CertHE
Please note that UHI North Highland, UHI Outer Hebrides and UHI West Highland will be changing their names to become UHI North, West and Hebrides in August 2023. This will not impact on your choice of course or how and where you will study.
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.